Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Nairobi September 11, 2012


I made it!

I didn't really doubt the reality that the airplane would fly where my ticket said it was going...I just wondered if I would arrive with it, if my luggage would come along and if the journey would be straightforward or contain unexpected detours.  Everything went as expected!  YEAH!

The thing I will always remember about this flight and is unique from all the other flights I have taken since 1984, is that somehow on my connecting flight in London I asked the flight attendant for a cup of water soon after we took off.  She brought it and I remember taking a drink.  Then I woke up having poured a glass of water in my lap!  Yes, it was a bit startling, but water is no problem.  Was I a bit embarrassed?  Yes, but it was funny that I feel asleep with a cup of water in my hand! 

There was a bit of a hiccup when we got to the terminal in Nairobi and the gateway was not working.  It took some time for them to find stairs tall enough to reach the side of the plane.  Thankfully the rain had stopped by the time they got things sorted.  I just wondered how they were going to get all the wheelchair passengers down all those stairs??

My dear friend Jim who is a mission pilot met me at the plane.  He and Bev graciously allowed me to come to their house for a few days before the seminar begins on the weekend.  I wish you could all meet Bev and Jim!  They have three beautiful grown daughters and our families have shared some wonderful memories over the years.  Bev has a fruitful work with the white Kenyan community and also works with a women's prison.  Jim has been a pilot for over 25 years with AIM-AIR.

All the workbooks, model babies, books and supplies came with me without harm.  I am so grateful!  I asked the TSA guy in Dulles to please put a zip tie on my bags after they were scanned and he took the time to do that for me!  Thank you for that kindness, Mr. TSA guy!!!

It is cooler than I expected it to be in Nairobi.  Usually the rains have finished by now but they have lingered and so has the cool temperatures.

I have so many fun things to get done!  Pray for me as I make contacts and finalize details for our trainings next week.  Pray that God's love will drench the events!  Pray that God will guide in the distribution of Nacham Bereavement Blankets and Elizabeth Project Knitted Baby Caps.

Lord willing, and if the Internet works, I will try and keep this blog updated frequently!

Words in Isaiah encourage and confirm this walk of faith and obedience for me...

Isaiah 49:15
Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne?  Though she may forget, I will not forget you!  See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands...

No comments:

Post a Comment